Sunday 28 January 2018

Bezel Set Cabachon

I have spent the last (couple? I lose track) year having fun experimenting and pushing myself, trying to learn new techniques with jewellery making. Jewelry, for you Yanks. Through this blog, I've shared all of my attempts, strange ideas and disasters.
My latest series of flops involved gallery bezel wire. Delicate and lacy, it looks so pretty when it's wrapped around a stone. It doesn't look so pretty when it's melted into a blob, which is what I've managed to do every time I tried to make a bezel with it.
In an uncharacteristic fit of adult thinking, I realized that I had been trying to run before I even learned to walk. I had never wrapped a stone with a plain bezel, let alone a fancy filigree bezel. So a baby step was needed, but pragmatic me was still battling with adventurous me, so the baby step became a walk
to the park and I used scalloped bezel wire.



I didn't melt it! The first piece in a long time that I was half-assed proud of. It couldn't be perfect, of course, so the heart cut into the back plate is a little wonky and it cut my stamped anchor in half.  Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment