Monday 21 September 2009

Ghost crystal

Quartz is the second most abundant mineral in earth's crust, and clear, quartz crystals come in many sizes and shapes.  The ideal shape is a six-sided prism with six-sided pyramids at each end.  They are reputed to be able to structure, store, amplify, focus, transmit and transform energy in our bodies, thoughts and emotions.
I picked up some nice Brazilian crystals at the Brantford Gem & Mineral show a few years ago with the intention of wire wrapping them, but with my jewelry production being a little slow, still have quite a few left.
Imagine my surprise when I pulled one out to wrap last month and discovered that it had an owl "ghost" living in it.
Ghosts or phantoms are found in quartz when the crystallization has been interrupted at some point in its growth, but the phantom is usually a crystal within a crystal or the inclusion of another mineral.  This one is pretty special and I hated to see it sold!


1 comment:

  1. That crystal is something special. I hope whoever bought it appreciates the owl. I don't think I could have parted with it! Lovely wrapping.

    ReplyDelete