Friday 11 February 2011

This Week

Kate McKinnon had a question yesterday on her blog about why people don't blog. She got some very interesting answers. I didn't respond, but if I had, it would have been to say that I don't find myself very interesting and think that recording my normal daily life would bore people to tears. You know, I got up, I ate, I worked, I ate, I read a book, I went to bed. I really changed things up this week, though. I don't have anything on hand that I really want to read so I actually watched television! How exciting! Fuzzy rabbit ears CBC, not much colour but very mindlessly relaxing. Although the news is a little depressing. We're spoiled here on the Island, where the front page of the newspaper is usually a picture of a seal on someone's front lawn or a cute little girl doing something sweet. We had a murder this year that hit the headlines for a day or two but it's the first one since 2006 so that'll be big news for a while. So CBC news of the world with murder and mayhem and people hurting people or hating people in the name of religion is kind of a downer. I'll find a book for next week.
Life did get a little interesting this week, though. I've been trying to get another dog for a month, and had committed to a female poodle in Ontario that didn't come and didn't come and meanwhile poor Dewey was getting more and more depressed. I finally gave up on that one and just on spec, called a breeder in Nova Scotia who hadn't updated her puppy page since 2006. But lo and behold! she had a few young poodles available. (I would have nothing but Jack Russells for the rest of my life, I enjoy them so much, but my whole family is allergic to shedding dogs, so I'm giving in.)
The dog I chose is a one-year-old neutered male standard named Corky. He made the long drive from Aylesford, N.S. in a vehicle transporting fish eggs for the Fisheries Department and I met up with them in a truck stop near Moncton. First time I've been over the bridge since I moved here.
From Corky
He's just a sweetheart and glommed onto me like I was the only friend he had in the world. Dewey bounced up to him when we finally arrived home and licked his face and then spent the next few hours sniffing his butt, so I guess he really likes him. But the poor dog has never been walked on a leash and I don't have a yard. We're having a slight issue about where he's going to go to the bathroom and I hope that doesn't last too long. He's a nervous dog and being from a farm, is going to have to get used to all the traffic both in and out of the store. We walk and walk and walk and he just stays right at my side, watching my face anxiously. I go round and round the store, hoping he'll relax and get used to the territory and noises and feel comfortable enough to have a widdle. I even tried letting him loose but he just stands close to me and stares in my face. So far he's outwaited me and when we're both icicles, we go in the house, he runs around with Dewey, very happy to be back inside, and then pees. Ah well, it's only his second day and next week will be better. Won't it?

2 comments:

  1. LOL..well, it's really sweet of you to take on a dog from a totally different environment..but poodles are really intelligent, and when he does settle down and feel secure, I'm sure you won't have any problems with him..
    As for blogging, I'm getting ready to give up..no one ever comments anymore..I used to at least get a few, but only one other person ever does lately..I know from my view thingies that lots of people are looking, but don't know if I've suddenly become a massive bore or what...but it's at least mildly frustrating to get no response at all..I think I'm gonna go blog about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie. What worked for us was to have a word trigger. peepie, empty, do your business something like that. Then when you are in a new area where he should go then you use the word to help him to know he should go. If he goes in the house you say no peepies here go outside.
    It will get better.
    I am a mommy to 4 dogs (3 are rescues).

    ReplyDelete