Sunday 12 September 2010

Movie Ratings

I heard the kids in the store yesterday talking about how movie ratings have changed, and how PG is now much more graphic and violent.  This was a 14 and a 19-year-old talking and I found it interesting that they found it disturbing.
I don't watch many adult movies.  If I give up a couple of hours of my precious time, I want to be entertained, not upset, scared or provoked.  So when something by Disney or Dreamworks comes into the store, I nab it before anybody else can get it, because we get the movies three days before they can be released to the public.  Prince Of Persia just arrived, a Disney movie, and I glommed onto it before the afternoon shift saw it and set myself up in my recliner with chips and sparkling water, a real movie night with the dogs.   It was a little disappointing.  The whole movie seemed to be men fighting and grunting - a Pirates of the Caribbean wanna-be without Johnny Depp's talent.  And what's with the hero and heroine stopping and gazing longingly into each other's eyes in the middle of a frantic escape from certain death?  Are they stupid, or what?  Run, dummies!   Along with the rating system, movies like that should carry a disclaimer:  "Warning - May Contain Snakes."  I may have trouble getting to sleep tonight.

1 comment:

  1. I like it when you say it like it is... Thank you. It is now off my list of must sees.

    ReplyDelete